We are thrilled to offer our supporters a new and exciting event to help the animals in our care: the first annual Run for the Animals. It’s being held at the same time and location as our annual Iams Wiggle Waggle Walkathon – Sunday, Sept. 8 at Queen Julianna Park near Dows Lake.
As a runner, I thought I would respond to some of the most common questions that we have been asked about the event. Hopefully, these answers will help make this special day for Ottawa’s animals a great one for you too!
1. What will I get for my entry fee?
This is a question I often ask myself as I choose which Ottawa runs to register for.
You get a commemorative run T-shirt, since it is our first annual event. The T-shirt is sure to be a collector’s item! You also get to run on a scenic, closed course along Queen Elizabeth Drive. The run is timed by Ottawa’s premier timing company – Sportstats. And, you get a finisher medal unlike anything else you have ever received from other runs.
2. Are there other activities taking place at Queen Julianna Park?
Yes! We have other events for your family, friends or co-workers:
- Young animal lovers can participate in the 1.5K Kidz Run
- Walk with your dog in our 1K or 3K IAMS Wiggle Waggle Walkathon
- Run with your pooch in a first-ever in Ottawa 3K Companion Animal Run
3. How do I get my friends, family or co-workers involved?
It’s easy. Set up a team. Be the team captain! Your team can personalize your T-shirts or even dress up in eye-catching costumes. Run together to support each other! Your team will be eligible for terrific prizes and pictures that you can show off at work or home!
4. Ok, I have completed my run – what’s next?
Come back to Queen Julianna Park after your run or walk. There will be a lot going on:
- Check out our Family Fun Zone – great activities for our youngest supporters
- Test Rover’s speed and reflexes in our Dog Agility Park
- Meet some adoptable animals from the OHS
- Shop in our Pet Pavilion for that special animal-themed gift – all proceeds go to the animals at the OHS
- Rehydrate and replenish with food and drink from our food trucks
- Bid on some terrific items from our silent auction – all money from the auction will help Ottawa’s animals
- Contests – we’ve got ‘em. Do you look like your dog? Is your pooch really big or small, or does he have that special talent or trick? If so, join the fun and games on the CTV Stage.
Great question! Part of your entry fee goes to help the animals in our care, but if you really want to help save animal lives, you should consider setting up a personal fundraising page. When you do that, 100 per cent of all pledges are directed towards our rescue and investigation services, our in-house clinic, and our adoption programs.
You can personalize your fundraising page by adding a picture of yourself or a four-legged friend. You can even post a heartfelt message or story that will make it IMPOSSIBLE for your friends, family and co-workers to not support you.
Click here to register now and to set up your page.